The Venice Municipal Fishing Pier is located at Brohard Park on the south end of the island of Venice. The 700-foot pier is a great location for fishing and to end the day watching a beautiful sunset.
The Pier, owned by the City of Venice, is open 24 hours a day/7 days a week, with free admission, and no fishing license is required. Papa’s Bait Shop is located midway down the Pier and is open 7 days a week at 6:30 a.m. Nearby are six picnic shelters, two sand volleyball courts, public restrooms, pavilion, Sharky's restaurant, and golf course.
Glass containers, alcohol, tobacco products, tents, rollerblades, and bicycles are prohibited on the Pier.
The Pier was originally built in 1966 for $133,877. It was destroyed in July of 1981 by a “No Name Storm." Rebuilding took place in 1984 with Greenhart lumber from South America, the only place in the world to purchase this wood. It did not have to be treated, nor did it shrink, because it was grown in the swamps. In February 2004, the Pier was totally removed. The construction of the current Pier cost $1.75 million, and the money was raised by a municipal bond (recreational). The decking of the Pier is now made of plastic wood fiber composite, is built to withstand a category 4 hurricane, and has a projected life span of at least 50 years.
The Pier is 720 feet long (219.45 meters), 22 feet wide, and the height is 20 feet (6.096 meters). Water depth at the end averages 16 ½ feet (5.03 meters).
Restrictions: Click here to view restrictions
Location: 1600 S. Harbor Drive