The Venice Police Department came into being in 1925 when the state of Florida granted a charter to the Municipality of the Town of Venice. The first Municipal Council invoked those powers on Dec. 9, 1926. This initial acts and appointment of the municipality established the Police and Fire Department.
This is the first police cruiser for the City of Venice. In 1949 when John C. Shockey joined the Venice Police Department, this vehicle was used for all patrolling. Shockey assisted Chief Herbert Hanchey. Each one of the two-man force had 12-hour shifts.
Shockey became chief in 1951 and retired from the department after 26 years of service.
John Shockey and first police cruiser, 1949
The Police Department occupied the eastern half of the new facility built in 1958 to house the police department, jail and fire department. The combined facility was located on the northwest corner of East Venice and Warfield avenues on the site of the old city ”barn” or garage that was torn down in October 1957.
The police and fire building was demolished in 1990.
Police Building, 1958
Police get keys to new police car, 1951
Cloudburst produces 3.5" rain, Sept. 23, 1954
Police Station, 1958
Police Department Staff, 1966
Badges and Patches