- (941) 486-2626 ext. 7444
- (941) 486-2626 ext. 7432
- (941) 486-2626 ext. 7445
- (941) 486-2626 ext. 7435
- (941) 486-2626 ext. 7373
- (941) 486-2626 ext. 7434
Development Services Director
- (941) 486-2626 ext. 7431
Tree Program Administrator/City Arborist
- (941) 486-2626 ext. 7433
The Planning & Zoning Division, as a division of the Development Services Department, guides growth and development by initiating current and long-range planning activities. These activities are performed through implementation of the Land Development Code, review and management of new development projects, the coordination and development of sector area plans, and the City’s Comprehensive Plan. The division promotes the development of economic vitality and diversity and ensures outstanding delivery of public services. It works in partnership with the Planning Commission and City Council to ensure business interests and community needs for future growth and development are met. For information on new development or land use development procedures visit the Land Use Planning pages. The Venice code can be found on Municode, under Chapter 86: Land Development Code.
Visit the page on the Land Development Regulations Update to stay informed with the City's Land Development Code. View the City's Comprehensive Plan that was updated in 2017 and adopted on January 12, 2018.
The Planning & Zoning Division is also responsible for review and enforcement of other types of permits:
- Temporary use permits which includes portable storage structures (PODS), temporary signs or banners, construction trailers, special events on private property, and more.
- Local Business Tax Receipts for all businesses that have a physical address within the city limits. More information can be found here.
- Dog friendly dining permits are issued for some restaurants within the city limits.
- Outdoor café, display permits, or other use of public property permits.
- Garage sales within the city are free to register. For more information or to register for a garage sale click here.
Contact the Planning & Zoning Division for any applications or any additional information required. We are located at City Hall in Room 109 and our hours are from 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM. The main phone number is (941) 486-2626 ext. 7445.