Show/Hide

Timeline

Print
Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

1867 - John and Eliza Webb and children settled at Webb’s Point in Osprey, Florida

1868 - Reverend Jesse Knight, wife Caroline, and family arrived

1871 - Robert R. Roberts established residence on the south side of Roberts Bay

1881 - Frank Higel came to the area

1881 - John S. Blackburn settled in the area now called Nokomis

1888 - Venice Post Office established in area now known as Nokomis

1896 - First permanent school erected near what is now called Jesse Knight Memorial Cemetery

1903 - Laurel Post Office began operations (closed 1909)

1903 - Rev. Jesse Knight deeded property for the first church, Knight’s Chapel (Methodist Episcopal)

1910 - Bertha Honoré Palmer acquired 140,000 acres (including most of current Venice) in what was then known as South Manatee County

1911 - Seaboard Airline Railway extended to current Venice

1912 - Waterway was dredged from Venice to Sarasota

1915 - Sarasota-Venice Company had a plat surveyed and filed for the town of Venice.

1915 - Voters passed a bond issue to construct a permanent road from Sarasota to Venice

1916 - Eagle Point Camp began operating

1917 - Dr. Fred and Louella Albee purchased land from Palmer family’s Sarasota-Venice Company

1918 - Manasota community founded

1921 - Manasota renamed Woodmere by the Nocatee-Manatee Freight Company

1925 - John Nolen designed Venice city plan for Dr. Albee

1925 - Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers purchased land from the Albees

1926 - John Nolen revised Venice city plan for Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers

1927 - City of Venice incorporated by Florida Legislature

1927 - Venice Train Depot completed; first airport constructed

1928 - Tamiami Trail opened from Tampa to Miami

1928 - Florida development boom ended and Venice became a ghost town

1930 - Venice-Nokomis High School's first graduating class had eight students

1930 - Fire destroyed Woodmere Sawmill and property was abandoned

1932 - Kentucky Military Institute moved its winter headquarters to Venice

1933 - Florida Medical Center opened in converted Park View Hotel

1937 - Venice Jetties constructed and channel between them dredged

1941 - War Department accepted Finn Caspersen’s offer of 3,000 acres for use as an Army camp

1942 - Venice Army Air Base began operations

1945 - Venice Army Air Base closed

1946 - The first issue of the Venice Gondolier newspaper was printed

1952 - Development of South Venice began

1952 - Venice Hospital dedicated

1953 - Venice Elementary School opened

1955 - Venice High School opened

1960 - Ringling Brothers and Barnum & Bailey Circus relocated winter headquarters to Venice

1966 - Venice Bypass (U.S. 41 Bypass) opened

1967 - Dedication of completed West Coast Intracoastal Waterway

1970 - Kentucky Military Institute closed Venice operations

1971 - Seaboard Coastline Railroad ceased passenger train service to Venice

1991 - Ringling Brothers and Barnum & Bailey Circus final performance at Venice winter headquarters

1996 - Venice Archives and Area Historical Collection relocated to restored historic Triangle Inn

2000 - Venetian Waterway extended to Gulf of Mexico

2003 - Restoration of historic Venice Train depot completed

2004 - Venice Fishing Pier rebuilt

2004 - Three-year state widening of U.S. 41 Business, Hatchett Creek Bridge and Circus Bridge completed

2005 - First of five beach renourishments completed

2005 - Venice Historical Preservation Board established

2010 - John Nolen Plan of Venice Historic District listed in National Register of Historic Places

2010 - Legacy Trail dedicated