Fast Fact for Flood Insurance
- Flooding is the #1 disaster in the USA and Homeowners insurance will not cover it
- If you are a renter or condo owner, you can purchase contents only coverage for flood insurance
- More than 20% of insurance claims can come from outside the high-risk area (SFHA)
- If you are out of the Special Flood Hazard Area you may be eligible for a preferred risk policy for just slightly more than $1 per day
- Flood Insurance takes 30 days to take effect after purchase so don't wait
- 1 inch of water can cost $27,000 or more!
- See the Cost of Flooding to see what a flood may cost for you
Try it at home
Take a ruler and measure 1 inch, 6 inches and 1 foot. What would be underwater if your home was flooded to each mark? How much would it cost to replace everything?
What about disaster assistance?
- Disaster assistance usually requires a presidential declaration
- Disaster assistance is usually given in the form of a loan that you have to repay
- The SBA disaster home loan can extend to 30 years
- The loan could cost significantly more than flood insurance
For more information
View FEMA's brochure on Protecting Your New Home
Don’t wait. Talk to your insurance agent today!
It is your job to remain informed to protect your family, your pets and your property. The following links will help you make the most informed choice. Or visit the Venice Library at 260 N Nokomis Ave, search the computer catalog under flood damage prevention
- Know your Flood Zone! Find out your risk. Visit our interactive flood map
- Know your Level! Find your evacuation level
- Click here to learn more about Flood Safety
- Do you have an elevation certificate for your property? Find out here
- Are you eligible for a LOMA or LOMA -OAS to remove your property from the Special Flood Hazard Area?
- Looking to buy a home? Read Check before you buy and learn about Mandatory Flood Insurance
- Have you experienced a flood hazard? Tell us about it
- Check out our Flood protection flyer, we mail this to residents twice a year.