CRS stands for Community Rating System. It is a voluntary national program that recognizes and encourages community floodplain management activities that exceeds the minimum National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) standards. Venice is one of the 1,444 (and counting) communities participating in the program.
Venice is currently a class 6 community which means most of our residents earn a 20% discount on flood insurance premiums. We save $537,160 annually for our residents or about $93 per policy.
The CRS has 6 main goals
- Reduce insurance policy rates for a community.
- Enhance public safety.
- Reduce damages to property and public infrastructure.
- Avoid economic disruption and losses.
- Reduce human suffering,
- Protect the environment.
Two ways to achieve these goals is through our floodplain ordinance and our floodplain management plan which is updated every year. Call or email us to view the most recent plan.
It is your job to remain informed to protect your family, your pets and your property. The following links will help you make the most informed choice. Or visit the Venice Library at 260 N Nokomis Ave, search the computer catalog under flood damage prevention
- Know your Zone! Find out your flood risk. Visit our interactive flood map
- Know your Level! Find your evacuation level
- Click here to learn more about Flood Safety
- Click for information on Flood insurance
- Do you have an elevation certificate for your property?
- Are you eligible for a LOMA or LOMA-OAS to remove your property from the Special Flood Hazard Area? Call or email to find out.
- Looking to buy a home? Read Check before you Buy and learn about Mandatory Flood Insurance Call or email us or visit the library
- Have you experienced a flood hazard? Tell us about it in our flood survey
- Check out our Flood Protection Flyer, we mail this to residents twice a year. Call or email us or visit the library