Causes of Flooding
Flooding in Venice is caused by two potential sources:
- Storm surge and heavy rainfall depositing more water than the storm drainage system can manage.
- Drainage systems located on public or private property that become clogged with yard or water debris.
The City of Venice contains five storm basins: Cow Pen Slough, The Myakka River, Curry Creek, Hatchett Creek, and the Island of Venice.
In 2016 our new Digital Flood Maps were adopted. To know your flood zone please visit our flood map page.
To learn about our Community Rating System or our floodplain management plan, please visit either the City's CRS page
Protecting Natural Resources is crucial for effective floodplain management. Help us protect them!
- Only rain down the drain! Keep storm drains clear of debris including yard waste.
- Keep our rivers, lakes, streams, channels, and wetlands free of debris by picking up your trash and your dog’s poop.
- Steer clear of sand dunes! These are our first line of defense against storms
- Protect the mangroves! They filter oil and storm runoff and are the first line of defense in a storm
- Stay away from nesting areas.
It is your job to remain informed to protect your family, your pets and your property. The following links will help you make the most informed choice. Or visit the Venice Library at 260 N Nokomis Ave, search the computer catalog under flood damage prevention
- Know your Zone! Find out your flood risk. Visit our interactive flood map
- Know your Level! Find your evacuation level
- Click here to learn more about Flood Safety
- For information on Flood insurance click here
- Do you have an elevation certificate for your property? Find out here
- Are you eligible for a LOMA or LOMA -OAS to remove your property from the Special Flood Hazard Area? Find out here
- Looking to buy a home? Read Check before you buy and learn about Mandatory Flood Insurance
- Have you experienced a flood hazard? Tell us about it
- Check out our Flood protection flyer, we mail this to residents twice a year.