Charged with the basic responsibility of education and notification, Code Enforcement seeks voluntary compliance of City Codes which are baselines of minimum expectation for the maintenance of the community and environment.
Code Enforcement strives to provide a clear systematic and consistent process for the investigation, notification and conformance of City Code.
To promote community awareness of and facilitate voluntary compliance with City Municipal Codes to enhance the quality of life and foster civic pride.
How do I request outstanding Code Enforcement issues or lien search?To resolve any outstanding Code Enforcement issues please contact 941-882-7445. If conducting a City lien or Public Utility charge and lien, and/or Municipal Assessment lien; please follow this website to find any open issues. If unresolved and still need assistance, please email our Customer Service office directly with your request to firstname.lastname@example.org, please include in the subject line the “property address – lien search”.
How does Code Enforcement Work?
When a suspected code violation is reported, a complaint is opened and a Code Enforcement Officer will try to resolve the violation through a process of education, inspection and notices. Continued violations are followed by progressive enforcement. Situations that appear to pose a serious risk to health and safety are given a top priority.
What is Code Enforcement responsible for?Code Enforcement is responsible for overseeing compliance with the City of Venice Code of Ordinances regarding zoning laws, sign regulations, obstructions on City property or City Right-of-Way, overgrown vegetation, trash, unlicensed or inoperative vehicles and yard waste.
What is Code Enforcement NOT responsible for?
Code Enforcement is not responsible for the following:
- Animal Control
- Mosquito Control
- Traffic Issues - Please contact City of Venice Police Department 941-486-2444
- Water Restrictions
- Building Construction - Please contact City of Venice Building Division 941-486-2626 ext. 7374
- Building Permits - Please contact City of Venice Building Division 941-486-2626 ext. 7382
- Disposal of old appliances/electronics - Please contact City of Venice Public Works 941-486-2422
- Dust (Related to Construction) - Please contact City of Venice Engineering/Stormwater 941-486-2626 ext. 7414
- Report Graffiti (Private or Public) - Please contact City of Venice Police Department 941-486-2444
- Local Business Tax Receipt (FKA: Occupational License) - Please contact Planning & Zoning 941-486-2626 ext. 7444
- Right-of-Way Sign Permits - Please contact Planning & Zoning 941-486-2626 ext. 7432
- Yard Waste (Scheduled) - Please contact City of Venice Public Works 941-486-2422
How can I file a complaint?
What information is needed to file a complaint?
As much detailed information as available should be provided when filing a complaint. If known, the address of the property should be provided. If no address is available, you can provide a description and address of a nearby property. You will need to identify the suspected violation and where the suspected violation's are located on the property.
How do I request a meeting for a HOA or Special Group?
Homeowners Associations or Special Groups
If at any time a Homeowners Association (HOA) or Special Group have a desire for a Code Enforcement presentation, please contact Supervisor, Jim Davis at 941- 486- 2626 x7446 for further details.
How do I find out about Sea Turtle Conservancy?
The Turtle Conservancy is dedicated to protecting threatened turtles and tortoises and their habitats worldwide.
The Turtle Conservancy envisions a world where all species of turtles and tortoises ultimately thrive in the wild.
Please contact George Nixon, Code Enforcement Officer at 941-486-2626 x7436 for more information on this program. In regards to further promote awareness about Sea Turtle Conservancy; please go to this following website.
Office Hours: Monday through Friday, 8am - 4pm