Come explore the world of career opportunities with the City of Venice.
All employees serve the City with PRIDE:
Productive, Responsible, Innovative, Dedicated, Ethical.
The City of Venice promotes diversity and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Successful candidates must pass a drug/nicotine use screen and pre-employment physical exam. In accordance with the Immigration Reform Act, appropriate identification documents verifying eligibility for employment will be required.
- Type:Full Time
- Salary/Pay Rate:$42,068/Annual
- Posted Date:12/27/2017
Department: Police Department
Pay Grade: (FOP) 201 FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
General Statement of Job
Protects and serves the public. Patrols assigned zone to detect, prevent, and/or deter crime, maintain order, and enforce laws in the City.
All City of Venice employees are expected to demonstrate PRIDE in their jobs by being Productive, Responsible, Innovative, Dedicated and Ethical.
In addition, certain essential city services are required to be maintained in any civil emergency. Depending upon the type of emergency, any and all employees may be activated as essential employees in the event of an emergency.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
1. Patrols and performs duties in assigned area while driving a motor vehicle; exercising special care in emergency situations.
2. Responds to calls for assistance and interviews witnesses/other individuals regarding incidents to maintain order and resolve conflicts
3. Monitors, receives and transmits information via radio, phone and/or computer.
4. Loads, unloads and discharges firearms during training and in situations that justify the use of deadly force following Department policy/procedure and statutory requirements.
5. Provides a wide range of information and services both verbally and in writing.
6. Reads and comprehends rules, regulations, policies, procedures and other documentation to ensure knowledge is acquired and retained regarding law enforcement activities.
7. Prepares legible, accurate, complete and timely reports, including sketches in handwritten or computer generated form.
8. Conducts physical searches of persons and locations to detect weapons, contraband and/or evidence.
9. Testifies in court or legal proceedings.
10. Initiates and assists in arresting adult and juvenile offenders when legal elements are met and when in accordance with Department policy/procedure.
Responsible for efficient and safe response to police department operations. Responsible in work to assigned Venice Police Department supervisor.
Minimum Education and Training
- High school diploma or equivalent.An Associate Degree from an accredited college or 60 credit hours.is preferred.
- Must be of good moral character as determined by a thorough background check, with no conviction of a felony or a misdemeanor involving perjury or false statement.
- A citizen of the United States.
- Possess a valid Florida driver’s license or must obtain within thirty (30) days from date of hire.
- Be a minimum of nineteen (19) years of age.
- Successfully complete a polygraph.
- Successfully pass a drug screening test.
- Satisfactorily undergo a physical examination.
- Florida Certified, out of state Law Enforcement Officers and individuals who are currently enrolled in a certified police academy are preferred.
- A veteran of an armed service of the United States, must have a minimum of a general discharge.
Minimum Qualifications and Standards Required
Knowledge of modern principles, practices and procedures of police work. Ability to work independently of direct supervision and capable of sustaining regular and predictable attendance. Skill driving vehicles and in using firearms in accordance with established guidelines. Ability to prepare clear, concise, comprehensive and timely reports, and maintain records and files. Possess excellent listening, speaking and communication abilities. Skill in apprehending and arresting suspects. Ability to understand and follow verbal and written instructions. Ability to remember names, faces and details of incidents. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, supervisors, other City employees, governmental officials and the general public; maintaining the trust, faith and confidence of supervisory personnel. Ability to properly retain and dispense confidential information. Meet the Florida Police Standards Board criteria. Possess a valid Florida Driver’s license, free of any serious violations.
Requires a working knowledge of the current version of Microsoft Office Professional software suite including proficiency with Word and Excel. Must have a basic understanding of the current version of the Microsoft Windows operating system. Familiarity with AS400/Sungard applications preferred. Working knowledge of the Microsoft Exchange e-mail application or equivalent and Internet Explorer is also highly recommended. Ability to learn specific computer applications used in the Police Department.
Ability to stand, walk, run, lift, pull, push, hear, speak, twist, turn, bend, and crouch. Position requires visual acuity. Reasonable accommodation will be considered for individuals with physical disabilities.
Works in shift work with rotating pass days. Must be available for any/all emergencies; which can extend the normal work period if required. Work involves sitting and driving in patrol car for long periods of time while wearing standard issue uniform and accessories and exposure to a wide range of potential hazards. Work is primarily performed outside with exposure to all types of weather conditions. Newly hired Police officers are in probationary status for one year from date of hire.
It is understood that every incidental duty connected with operations enumerated in the job description is not always specifically described, and employees, at the discretion of the City, may be required to perform duties not within their job descriptions.
A job applicant who requires reasonable accommodations to participate in the selection process, should contact the Human Resource Department.
For further information regarding the recruitment and selection process, contact the Human Resources Department, at (941) 882-7371; or visit us at City Hall, 401 W. Venice Ave.
Thank you for your interest in the City of Venice.
We look forward to hearing from you.