Come explore the world of career opportunities with the City of Venice.
All employees serve the City with PRIDE:
Productive, Responsible, Innovative, Dedicated, Ethical.
The City of Venice promotes diversity and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Successful candidates must pass a drug/nicotine use screen and pre-employment physical exam. In accordance with the Immigration Reform Act, appropriate identification documents verifying eligibility for employment will be required.
- Type:Full Time
- Salary/Pay Rate:$63,492 - $70,790/ANNUAL
- Posted Date:01/03/2019
- Deadline to Apply:02/04/2019 3:59 PM
Department: Planning & Zoning
Pay Grade: (AFSCME) 140: Senior Planner FLSA Status: Exempt
General Statement of Job
Performs professional work of an administrative and technical nature related to municipal planning and zoning functions.
All City of Venice employees are expected to demonstrate PRIDE in their jobs by being Productive, Responsible, Innovative, Dedicated and Ethical.
In addition, certain essential city services are required to be maintained in any civil emergency. Depending upon the type of emergency, any and all employees may be activated as essential employees in the event of an emergency.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Reviews requests and makes recommendations for property development including rezoning, special exceptions, site plans, comprehensive plan amendments, variances, and subdivision plats.
- Coordinates various development services programs including Local Business Tax Receipts, Open Air Café and Merchandise Display permits to ensure compliance with applicable regulations and requirements.
- Responds to public requests for information regarding municipal development or planning and zoning issues.
- Makes recommendations and presentations to various boards and public groups.
- Prepares reviews and implements the City’s comprehensive plan and land development codes and regulations.
- Researches, collects, analyzes, and summarizes data for reports as assigned.
- Performs field surveys of property to inventory existing use and conditions.
- Responsible for staying current with all governing regulations and compliance requirements.
- Safely and efficiently drives and operates city vehicles as required.
10. In addition to performing all Planner functions; the Senior Planner:
a. Assists the Community Development Director in overseeing requests and implementing recommendations for property development, including comprehensive plan amendments rezoning, special exceptions, site plans, conditional use, zoning appeals and subdivision plats.
b. Serves as the City’s Concurrency Management Officer.
b. Evaluates and makes recommendations to improve and streamline work standards. Identifies potential problems and proposes options for resolution.
c. Assists with code of ordinance interpretations and preparation of violation cases for consideration by the City Code Enforcement Board and testifies at board meetings as required.
d. Assists the Community Development Director with budget preparation and monitoring fiscal expenditures.
e. Acts as the Zoning Administrator/Land Development Code Official in the absence of the Community Development Director.
Responsible for accuracy and timeliness of all assignments/projects. Responsible in work to the Community Development Director.
Minimum Education and Training
Senior Planner (140)
- A Bachelor Degree in Public Planning, Urban Planning, Environmental Planning or a closely related field and six (6) years’ experience in municipal planning with an emphasis on Comprehensive Plan, Evaluation and Appraisal Report and land development regulations;
A Master Degree in in Public Planning, Urban Planning, Environmental Planning or a closely related field and four (4) years’ experience in municipal planning with an emphasis on Comprehensive Plan, Evaluation and Appraisal Report and land development regulations
- American Institute of Certified Planner (AICP) certification preferred.
- Vacant position authorized in the department budget.
Minimum Qualifications and Standards Required
Knowledge of applicable codes/regulations and capable of providing consistent and accurate interpretations. Ability to work independently of direct supervision and capable of sustaining regular and predictable attendance. Ability to communicate effectively; write professional quality correspondence and reports, and present oral reports in a clear, concise and understandable manner to both technical and non technical persons. Must be able to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees, department directors and the general public. Possess a valid Florida Driver’s license (or valid out-of-state driver’s license), free of any serious violations. Out-of-state applicants have 30 days from start of employment to attain a valid Florida Driver’s License.
Requires a working knowledge of the current version of the Microsoft Office Professional software suite including Word and Excel. Must have a basic understanding of the current version of the Microsoft Windows operating system. Familiarity with Superion Software applications based on an iSeries system is preferred. Working knowledge of the current versions of Microsoft Outlook and Internet Explorer is also highly recommended. Ability to learn specific computer applications used in the Planning & Zoning Department.
Ability to sit, stand, walk, climb, bend, stoop, and lift. Ability to walk on rough ground (sand, woods, overgrown areas) and work both indoors and outdoors . Requires hand/eye coordination to operate computers and various office equipment. Reasonable accommodation will be considered for individuals with physical disabilities.
Work is performed primarily in an office environment with some travel to various meeting sites. May be required to work outside in certain aspects of the job.
It is understood that every incidental duty connected with operations enumerated in the job description is not always specifically described, and employees, at the discretion of the City, may be required to perform duties not within their job descriptions.
SALARY RANGE: (AFSCME Grade 140)
ACTUAL STARTING SALARY:
(Except as may be provided in Article 9 of the AFSCME Agreement for promotion, transfers, demotions, etc.)
PLEASE NOTE: Any interested applicant must make written application (online at www.venicegov.com or on paper) to the Human Resources Department. This position is open until filled. Only qualified applicants will be contacted by email.
Applicants (with the exception of current city employees) given a conditional offer of employment will be subjected to physical examination, drug, tobacco/nicotine screening, review of driver’s license record, criminal background, and references from previous employers.
The City of Venice is an Equal Opportunity Employer
A job applicant who requires reasonable accommodations to participate in the selection process, should contact the Human Resource Department.
For further information regarding the recruitment and selection process, contact the Human Resources Department, at (941) 882-7371; or visit us at City Hall, 401 W. Venice Ave.
Thank you for your interest in the City of Venice.
We look forward to hearing from you.