History of Venice Police Department
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
The Venice Police Department came into being in 1925 when the state of Florida granted a charter to the Municipality of the Town of Venice. The first Municipal Council invoked those powers on Dec. 9, 1926.  This initial acts and appointment of the municipality established the Police and Fire Department.
 

This is the first police cruiser for the City of Venice. In 1949 when John C. Shockey joined the Venice Police Department, this vehicle was used for all patrolling. Shockey assisted Chief Herbert Hanchey. Each one of the two-man force had 12-hour shifts.

Shockey became chief in 1951 and retired from the department after 26 years of service.

John Shockey and first police cruiser, 1949
 

The Police Department occupied the eastern half of the new facility built in 1958 to house the police department, jail and fire department. The combined facility was located on the northwest corner of East Venice and Warfield avenues on the site of the old city ”barn” or garage that was torn down in October 1957.

The police and fire building was demolished in 1990.

 
   
Police Building, 1958
     

 
Police get keys to new police car, 1951
 
Cloudburst produces 3.5" rain, Sept. 23, 1954
     
 

Police Station, 1958
 
Police Department Staff, 1966
     
 
Badges and Patches
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
     
     
     
     
Former Chiefs
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
   
     
Chief George Duncan
1926-1928
  Chief McAllister
1928-1934
  Chief Walter Suris
1934-1936
  Chief Willise 'Bill' Hill
1936-1937
   
     
Chief James Stephens
1937-1944
  Chief Frank Kelso
1944-1945
  Chief Pestotnik
1945-1948
  Chief Herb Hanchey
1948-1951
   
     
Chief John Shocky
1951-1974
  Chief Robert Ferry
1974-1977
  Chief Ray Waymire
1977-1984
  Chief Verlon Ball
1984-1987
   
     
Chief O'Shaughnessy
1987-1993
  Chief Joseph Slapp
1993-2001
  Chief James Hanks
2001-2006
  Chief Julie Williams
2006-2010